Sunday, January 2, 2022

New Life- Week 92 (Snowy Goodbye 2021)

 This week we said a snowy goodbye to 2021.  The pattern of the week seemed to be snow overnight, slow thaw during the day, and then snow again overnight.  We had several days of this pattern and it made for some fun days of sledding and snowman building, but didn't halt life too much because we could mostly get out and drive just fine in the afternoons.  The kids particularly loved going up to sled at the big hill at the middle school. Even later in the days when their wasn't much snow, it was still slick enough to have a good run.  One day we even met all the cousins there for some sledding fun.














The other highlight of the the week was Merrick's basketball tournament.  Merrick got hurt in the second game on the first day and really didn't have his best game, but the second day he really came alive, he showed up big time for his team in the championship game, scoring 17 of their 29 points.  They won the tournament and Merrick won the "chain gang" award from his coaches.  All this is even that much more impressive when you consider the context, which I will provide in a second.



After the tournament, we spent the evening at the Ioapo's and did some major partying to ring in the new year.  We all ate way more than we should have and played lots of games.  About 9:30 it was pretty clear that the girls weren't going to make it to midnight so we took them home and Merrick stayed for a sleepover.  He seemed pretty wiped but wanted to stay.   The girls were asleep by 10 and Jeremy and I barely made it to midnight.

2022 started out with a slow morning.  By 9:30 I texted Emily and Merrick was still asleep which is very unusual for him.  I didn't really think a lot of it until I got a text a few minutes later from the mom of one of Merrick's teammates that her son had tested positive for Covid.  I immediately texted Emily and told her to let me know as soon as he was awake and I would come get him.  He woke up and sounded congested.  I immediately took him home and tested him (luckily we had one at home test left). He tested positive.

We have started 2022 with Covid, something we have tried for almost 2 years to avoid.  I have heard it said that how you start your new year is symbolic of how you will spend your year, but I refuse to let that be that case.  I am ready to take back my life in 2022 and that starts with kicking Covid's butt.  I will keep you posted but so far it looks like just Merrick has it and at this point it is very similar to cold symptoms.  He has a cough and congestion, no fever.  I will update next week on how it progresses but at this point I am optimistic. 

So goodbye 2021 and hello 2022.  So far we aren't friends, but I know we will be.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment