Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Papa

You may have noticed the lack of post last week. That was because at my usual blogging time I was making the trek from Phoenix to Salt Lake on our marathon trip to my grandfather's funeral.

As I mentioned a while back, my grandpa was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer back in October. At that point he was told that he had weeks or maybe a few months to live. Miraculously he lived 8 months and we all had some tender times with visits, phone calls, and Google hangouts, where we were able to express our love and say goodbye.

On Tuesday June 19th we got word first thing in the morning that papa had passed away. Despite the time we had to prepare, it was still a blow. We decided that my parents, my brother Brendon, Merrick and I would leave the next day and start our drive to AZ. The plan was to drive to San Francisco the first day and then finish the trek on Thursday.

Well, it turns out we are crazy because we hit San Francisco at about 5pm and we all felt good. Merrick had been such a trooper and we decided that since we had 4 drivers, maybe it would be better if we just marathoned it on in. We thought Merrick would sleep most of the night and it would be easier on him, but it turns out he decided to only sleep 4 hours. Despite that, he did AMAZINGLY and we made it to Arizona by about 5am.

The next few days were a blur of love, tears, hugs, and laughs. On Friday night we had the visitation at the funeral home. My grandma was amazingly strong and looked unbelievably beautiful.

Following the visitation, we all went back to my grandparent's house where we all watched a video my grandpa had made for my grandma to say goodbye. It was so sweet and tender.

The next day was the viewing and funeral. Again, my grandma was amazingly stoic as she said goodbye for now to her eternal companion and partner for the last 67 years. The funeral was planned by my grandpa to the T prior to his passing and I had many people comment to me that it was one of the best they had ever attended. It truly was a great service.

My grandpa wanted to be buried in Blackfoot, Idaho with his parents, my grandma's parents, his brother, and his son that lived for only a few hours after birth. The next day was Sunday and we all packed up and drove to Salt Lake. We stayed the night there and then the next day finished the drive to Blackfoot.

We got there a little early for the luncheon so we were able to tour the town and see where my grandparent's fabric store was.


The house my great-grandfather build.

Where my mom went to elementary school.

A house my grandparents, mom, and uncle's lived in.

The "dream house" that my grandparents built.

And the one room farm house were they lived when my mom was born and where they were living at the time of my mom's accident.

After the luncheon, we went to the grave sight for the burial. It was a sweet time to say final goodbyes.

I am so grateful for my knowledge of eternal families. I know my grandpa is with his parent, siblings, and son having a great reunion. I know I will see him again. So I say goodbye for now, but we will meet again.





No comments:

Post a Comment