Sunday, July 29, 2012

Portland "Treasure"

This week was all about discovering Portland's treasures and "treasures". A while back while driving through an unfamiliar neighborhood I came across a Goodwill Outlet. I was intrigued and asked many people about it with mixed reviews. This week my curiosity got the better of me and my mom and I made our first trip.

While it certainly is not for everyone, it is not as bad as some people made it seem. Nobody ripped things out of your hands and you didn't have to wear a gas mask (gloves were helpful however). The crazy thing about it is they sell their merchandise by the pound rather than by the item. We loaded up a heaping cart full and pushed the entire cart onto the scale to make our purchase. The whole haul was over 60 pounds and only $45. We did have to invest some time in washing and sanitizing but at the end of the day I think it was worth the effort.

Later in the week I also got to discover one of Portland's true treasures. With our ward Relief Society we took a hike and ended at the historic Pittock Mansion. The original owner of the home was a prominent figure in Oregon history and founded the city's largest newspaper. The mansion was amazing but the views from the mansion were even more spectacular.


We have now lived in this city for a year and yet it keeps surprising me with new treasures to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment