Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mary Vs. Martha

Yesterday was Presidents' Day and since it was a holiday we had a chance to spend a little more time as a family. We had a great day with Jeremy and I getting to go to the temple in the morning, but for me my favorite part of the day was Jeremy, Merrick, and me playing soccer in the backyard.



What makes me so sad is that I almost missed out on this great family moment. When Jeremy decided to take Merrick out I was right in the middle of something that I could not step away from. While I finished I could see them playing together and I wished I was out there with them. I told myself that I would quickly finish and get out there, but as I finished I ended up in the kitchen looking at a sink full of dishes and thinking about how I had people coming over in a little while.

I have to admit that it was much harder for me to walk away from that sink than it should have been. In the end it took both encouragement from Jeremy and the realization that while it would be nice the have a clean house there would be time for that later, but the moments I have to just be with my family are fleeting and need to be treasured. It reminds me of a wise quote, "Quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep!" I know this will continue to be something that I struggle with, but I will continue to work on it because it is important for me that my family know that they always come first.

No comments:

Post a Comment