Sunday, August 21, 2022

Camping and Girls Day

 The majority of this week was spent on activities to get the business off the ground.  I expect this will be the case for the foreseeable future.  While this is, I'm sure, not how the kids want to be spending their last weeks of summer, they have been really good sports about entertaining themselves while Jeremy and I work. It has been a real family team effort.

The highlight for all the kids was definitely the weekend.  Jeremy and Merrick went on a campout with Merrick's church group (Jeremy is the leader of the group).  I will let him tell you all about that in a sec, but while the boys were gone, the girls and I had some girl time!

Friday afternoon, after the boys left, Carrigan was down at my parents' working with my mom on a dress she is sewing.  Elsie and I spent our special time playing games and reading books.  Around dinnertime, we picked up C.C. and went out for a special dinner.  When we got home, I told the girls they could have a sleepover in my room with me, something they never get to do.  They were very excited, I was less so when it turned out I didn't get much sleep that night.


The next morning the girls built blanket homes in their room and played "the floor is lava" while I did some things around the house.  We then went to see my two nephews scrimmage each other in the first football games of the season.  The girls were less than pleased to be spending their "girl time" at a sporting event so we didn't stay too long.


After lunch Carrigan went on an epic birthday party adventure that included treats from Starbucks, painting ceramics, Subway, and ice cream.  While she was gone, Elsie and I took Millie to the dog park, went to the park, and rode bikes outside.






About dinnertime, Carrigan and the boys all got home.  Here's Jeremy to fill you in on the boys' side of the adventure.

Merrick and I went on a campout with some of the boys from our church and their dads.  All in all, we had six boys and four dads.  We got a late start due to horrible traffic, but once we got out of the city we were surrounded by the forest.  We went across Bridge of the Gods and into Washington, where we stayed at Paradise Creek Campground.  The boys played and we made tin foil dinner on coals from our fire.  Then we made S'mores and told BigFoot stories around the campfire in preparation for our hike through the lava tube Ape Cave.

The next day we drove to Ape Cave and headed underground.  I wish I had taken more pictures, but as you can see, pictures underground do not turn out well.  Ape Cave is a mile long lava tube that requires the hikers to scramble over large boulders and climb rock faces.  The boys hurried ahead as the adults took a little longer to scramble over the boulders.  There were places where the cave roof was about 30 feet from the ground and then places where I had to crouch in order to get through.  The cave was about 42 degrees, so we wore sweatshirts which were quickly shed once we returned to the 80 degree weather of the open air.  Everyone had a great experience exploring the cave and hiking back to the cars.  





No comments:

Post a Comment