Sunday, March 29, 2020

New Life- Week 2

This week (and really this whole experience actually) can be summed up nicely by A Tale of Two Cities, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times".  I feel like I am on this crazy roller coaster and I can't get off.  For example, Thursday morning was particularly difficult for several people that I love.  I was overcome by worry for them and their future and ended up having to hide in my room for a bit while I cried my eyes out.  Fast forward to Friday late afternoon and I am making homemade pizza for my family while they get their cars ready for our drive in movie (more on that in a minute) and deciding on what movie we are going to watch.  In that moment I am overcome with gratitude for my family, all that we have, and for this special time I have to be with them more fully.  It's really the craziest thing and for those of you reading this right now, I am sure you get it, but for anyone in the future, I don't have words to truly express what it is like.

Anyway, so what did we actually do this week?  The weather was poor off and on this week so we had to miss our daily walk a few times.  We typically go outside in the afternoon everyday as well so this week we cleaned out the garage and spent lots of time playing in there with balls, chalk, and scooters.  Also this week we made homemade playdough, played with Legos and made muffins.  Thursday was Brendon's birthday so we heart attacked his front door.  We tried to be sneaky, but their dog, Trixie, started barking before we even made it to the door...not so sneaky.






Elsie found a bunch of bloomers in her drawer this week and decided she wanted to start wearing "underwear".  Everyday she insists on underwear over her diaper and under her pants.  We are almost out of diapers and I really should bite the bullet and potty train her, but honestly I can't bring myself to take it on right now.


Probably the best thing we did this week was our "drive in movie".  I don't have a lot of brilliant ideas as a parent, but this was one.  On Friday afternoon I got out old apple boxes for the kids to decorate as cars.  Merrick made a Lambo.  Carrigan made an Audi, which she called an Olympics car.  Elsie made, well, I am not exactly sure, but she had fun.  Car decorating turned into car racing.  Eventually we watched a movie and the kids sat in their "cars" for a "drive in movie".  Between the decorating, racing, and movie watching, we had hours and hours of entertainment...genius!  The only downside was that Merrick was really too big for his car so he ended up having to cut the box so his legs could hang out.











Just like that it was another week in the books.  Jeremy and I asked either other after week one if we could do this indefinitely and both said "no".  We had the same conversation this week and both said, "probably".  This is definitely getting more comfortable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment