Sunday, September 8, 2019

Merrick Turns 10!

This was a big week!  One for the record books!  This week Merrick turned 10!!! 1-0!!!! He now is a double digit age!  That means I have a child that is a double digit age!  If you couldn't tell I am kinda freaking out about this.  Time always marches on and mostly I have made my peace with my kids growing up but this has knocked me for a loop.  Nevertheless the day came and we decided to celebrate it (and him) in a big way.

Merrick's actual birthday fell on a Thursday which, much to his disappointment, meant he had to go to school.  I got up extra early though and went to the store for doughnuts before school.  He also got to take a treat to school to share with his classmates (this is the first teacher that has let him bring a treat).  After preschool I went and got him Taco Bell and ate lunch at school with him.  Last year he was really excited for me to eat with him and wanted me to go to recess after, but this year he was uncertain if he wanted me to stay and eat (he ultimately decided he did) and after he took off for recess and didn't look back.  Another sign that he is really growing up.

So this year Merrick talked me into, not one, but three parties.  When we were deciding what to do for a birthday party, what he really wanted was to have a pool party.  Since everyone in our neighborhood is old, they can be kinda grouchy about the pool.  I told him that he could only invite a few friends.  That opened up a new set of problems as a couple of the friends he really wanted to invite don't get along.  He was also having a hard time narrowing down his guest list.  Eventually, I decided that the only way to make it work was to have two pool parties.  That way we could invite everyone Merrick wanted to and also keep certain friends apart.  We had the parties on Thursday and Friday and kept them really chill.  We just swam and ate cupcakes.  It wasn't fancy, but Merrick had fun.  His friends also really spoiled him with gift cards, money, books, baseball cards, and a drone.  He also got a new bounce extension for his Morphboard from Grandpa and Lollie.  Carrigan and Elsie gave him a new subscription to Sports Illustrated Kids and from us he is getting tickets to the Ducks vs. Sun Devils football game.  Today we will have our third party with all the family.  We will also celebrate Lincoln and Lauren's birthdays.


We are so blessed to have Merrick in our family and so glad we could celebrate him this week.  He is such a great kids, so helpful, kind and thoughtful.  As hard as it is for me to watch him get older, I am so proud of the young man he is becoming.  He's the best!

P.S. I have a few other things to report on from this week but they will have to wait until next week. Today is all about Merrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment