Sunday, May 14, 2017

Father's and Son's

Last weekend was Father's and Son's.  Jeremy offered to do the blog, but I felt like Carrigan deserved a birthday blog all to her herself last week so I told him he could do it today and get me off the hook on Mother's Day.  I call that a win-win.  So now, without further ado, here is Jeremy.

This year we had Father's and Son's campout at the same place as the last few years, Camp Meriwesther.  Camp Meriweather is one of Oregon's hidden gems.  It is a Boy Scout camp right on the Oregon coast.  I found out this year that some philanthropist donated the land to the Boy Scouts and they can use it as long as the land is used for a Boy Scout camp.  If it is ever used for anything else then the land reverts back to the philanthropist's family.  It is prime real estate so I hope the Boy Scouts continue to use it as a camp so we can continue using it.  I mean look at the views!



On Friday, Merrick and I were the first to arrive.  Friday was rainy off and on.  When it was not raining the boys were by the lake trying to capture salamanders.  Later we cooked hot dogs over the fire and had s'mores.
  

At the lake there were a bunch of row boats and canoes on the shore and Merrick begged me take him out on the lake.  We are not allowed to use the boats on the lake because of liability reasons.  The people who run the camp get really upset when people use the boats and they are like ninjas.  You can not see a single person the entire time you are there and as soon as you get in the boats five of them show up to yell at you.  So, I told Merrick that if he woke up before breakfast was being prepared I would take him on the lake.  He woke up at 4am and I told him that was to early so he luckily went back to sleep.  Then he woke up at 6:30am.  No one else was awake yet so we snuck down to the lake and hopped into a canoe.  It was perfect.  We have done this before and this lake is one of my favorite places in the world in early in the morning.  There was a cool mist coming off the lake and the sun was just coming over the trees.  It started to sprinkle on us while we were out on the lake and then it stopped and we were rewarded with this awesome rainbow.



After breakfast we hiked down to the beach.  That is another awesome thing about Camp Meriweather.  About a quarter mile from the lake is the Oregon Coast.  The kids ran around in the water, looked for sea shells, and played games.  I had to drag Merrick off the beach and we were the last ones to leave the camp.


Of course, we had to stop at the world famous Tillamook Creamery.  Tillamook, Oregon is about 20 minutes away from the camp and this kid loves his ice cream.

 

Father's and Son's is one of my favorite weekends of the year.  With it being Mother's Day I would be remiss if I did not mention the mother that makes Father's and Son's possible.  I am so grateful and lucky to have Sarah in my life.  She is a great wife and mother and the woman of my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment