Sunday, September 7, 2014

Merrick Turns 5

This week Merrick turned five.  I feel like every year his birthday sneaks up on me.  The last two years we have moved right before his birthday and the last three years I have also had to juggle starting a new preschool year at the same time.  This year however, despite the aforementioned juggling, I was at least prepared with gifts.  A friend of mine had told me a while back about a really good sale they were having a Target. I had gone and decided to tuck some things away for Merrick's birthday.  Luckily I did because when I frantically went to check what I had for him at the very last minute, I blissfully discovered that I was prepared.  Note to self, I should do that every year.

This year his birthday fell on a Friday.  Jeremy had to work, but we picked up doughnuts on the way to take Jeremy to work.  They happened to have doughnuts with green frosting (Merrick's favorite color) and I told him they had made them especially for his birthday.  He ate that up, literally.  I tried to make the rest of the day as special for him as I could.  We went to McDonald's for lunch (something he begs for but we NEVER do) and he met a new friend.  They played really well together and had a blast.  We also had Brown cousins over to play and went to dinner at Merrick's favorite restaurant (Panda Express).  We ended the day with opening presents.  As he was going to bed Merrick told me he had the best birthday ever.  That made me feel pretty good.






The next day, Saturday, we had Merrick's birthday party for his friends.  I had originally planned on a small, picnic themed party, but due to a technology glitch (which I won't get into) and Merrick putting his foot down on the theme, we ended up with a much larger, Angry Birds Star Wars themed party.  The party was a huge success!  I had made light sabers for the kids to have a battle, storm trooper piggy balloons to defeat, and nearly four dozen cupcakes.  It was a hot day and we had planned the party at a park that has water.  They were able to play with their pool noodle light sabers in the water so it worked well.  I think all the kids had a good time and they were all really exited to get to take their light sabers home with them at the end of the party.












Overall I think it was a birthday that was almost as amazing as Merrick himself.  My favorite moment was on Saturday.  Despite the fact the his party was a 2pm, I was still working on cupcakes in my robe 30 minutes before the party.  I told him that I needed to go take a shower and get dressed.  He asked if that was because I was afraid people would laugh at me if I went to his party in my robe.  When I told him yes, he said, "I will tell them 'She did not have time to get dressed because she was working really hard on the cupcakes so you can't laugh at her.' And they will listen to me because it is my birthday". I am always amazed by how sweet and thoughtful he is.

Everyday I thank my Heavenly Father that I get to be the mom to this amazing little boy!  He has been such a blessing to our family over the last 5 years.  I can't wait to see what the future holds for him.  Happy birthday Merrick!

2 comments:

  1. Adorable 5th birthday party!! I really admire this party theme so much! I would love to use some of these ideas on my niece’s birthday. Also would prefer booking some local NYC venues for this garden themed bash. Do you have any venue suggestions?

    ReplyDelete