Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Post Bar World

This week the bar came and finally went.  I really did not ever think we would get to the place where the bar was behind us, but sure enough that day came.

The kids and I started the week by doing everything we could to stay busy, first so Jeremy could have his final study day and then so I did not have time to obsessively worry about how the test was going.  Becca and her kiddos were kind enough to help provide us with distractions.  Monday we spent several hours at the park and riding bikes and then just hung out and let the kids play.  Tuesday we went to the pool and to lunch and again more hanging out.  Wednesday we went to OMSI (the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry).  Wednesday was by far my favorite day.  I am not sure how we have lived here over three years (and visited for many years before that) without ever making a trip to OMSI, but I know we won't wait nearly so long before going back again.  For the purposes of today's blog I won't talk too much about it and save the detail for our next visit, but I will say the vacuum room, where you use tube and connectors to create vacuums that suck and blow hundreds of balls around the room at targets, was my favorite (and I think Merrick's too).





Meanwhile, while the kids and I were off having a blast, Jeremy was in the trenches.  One of the biggest blessings we have received during this time was peace.  I know that we both felt it and it helped to keep things in perspective.  When others spent thirty minutes of the test time dry heaving in the bathroom, Jeremy was able to calmly continue working.  Despite some glitches with the testing software that made national news, he is overall pleased with how the testing went.  I have asked him if he has any regrets and at first he said no, but later came up with something minor that he would have changed if he could.  We feel optimistic that he passed and now jut have to wait until September 19th at 2pm to know for sure.

As I mentioned last week, we planned a top secret surprise after the test was behind us.  Wednesday night we told Merrick we were going on a trip and he needed to pack, but did not tell him the plan.  Thursday morning we loaded up the car and headed out.  It was not until we were about 2 minutes out that we handed Merrick his wand and told him we were going to Great Wolf Lodge.

The next two days were filled with water park fun, magic wands bringing things to life, and Merrick getting to sleep in his very own wolf den, complete with bunk beds and his own TV.  It was the perfect get away and just exactly what we needed as a family.














No comments:

Post a Comment