Sunday, March 16, 2014

Merzie Bear

It occurs to me that with monthly updates about Carrigan and all the other blogs about our comings and goings, the percentage of blogs about Merrick is way down so it feels like time for an update.

One of my favorite things about being a parent is watching my kids grow and seeing their personalities develop and take shape.  Over the last few months two things have really stuck out to me about Merrick, that he is really smart and that he is very kind hearted.

First off, Merrick really is smart as a whip.  Lately he has become really interested in numbers and spelling.  He is working on counting to a hundred.  I think he can get to 59 completely on his own, but then needs a bit of help to get the rest of the way to a hundred.  He looks for numbers everywhere we go and his latest thing is to read the numbers on the speed limit signs and then ask me how fast I am going.  I have discovered that 37mph in a 35mph zone is no longer acceptable.

He also has become really interested in spelling.  Throughout the day he will think of a word and say "Mommy, how do you spell _________?".  Then we have to break it down and sound it out.  What this has done for me is really cement in my mind just how messed up the English language is.  Try explaining to a four-year-old why "cinnamon" does not start with an "s" and why "one" does not start with a "w" (but it does if you are talking about a different kind of "won").  Thankfully all the words that don't follow the rules don't seem to be lessening his desire learn them.

The other thing that has struck me about Merrick lately is his kind hearted nature.  People ask me all the time how he has done being a big brother and I always tell them how sweet he is to Carrigan.  Over the ten and a half (give or take) months she has been a part of the family, I think he has only ever intentionally been unkind to her once.  I think that is pretty impressive.  Usually he dotes on her, plays with her, and wants to take care of her.  She is lucky to have him as a big brother.

I have also been seeing this at school.  Since I am his teacher, I get the rare opportunity to see him in a social setting with his peers.  The other kids in the class are drawn to him and I think that is because he is always kind, always plays by the rules.  In one of our preschool classes in particular it is a problem everyday because several kids want to sit next to Merrick at circle time.  I have watched him talk to his friends and work out a schedule where he sits by some one time and different ones the next time.  He always follows through and even when it is the girls' turn to sit by him (and I know he would rather sit by the boys), he tells the boys that it is the girls' turn to sit by him and that he will sit by them next time.  I think the ability to put another child's desires ahead of his own is really rare for a child his age.

I am so proud to be the mama to this smart, kind little boy.  Just don't mess with him during wrestling time because he will take you down.



No comments:

Post a Comment