Sunday, March 2, 2014

Come Ride the Roller Coaster

I think it is true that life in general is like a roller coaster.  None of us is immune, we all have highs and we all have lows.  I do, however, feel like my life has been particularly roller coastery lately.  I am sure that comes with the territory.

I have a husband who is about to graduate and is looking of work.  With that comes the built in highs and lows of finding a job that looks interesting and exciting and applying, only to never here anything or moving forward with an interview process, only to have it not work out.  I try (and do my best to help Jeremy try) to stay positive.  It is difficult now because not many companies want to talk to him since he is not quite ready to go to work, but it should get easier the closer we get to graduation.  Then you have to balance to emotions of wanting to get closer to graduation so job hunting is easier, but being increasing nervous of graduation since you don't have a job and don't know what the future holds.  AND this is just one area of my life that has me feeling like I am on a roller coaster that just won't stop.

You may remember a few weeks back that I posted that I was going through something with my health and was really having a hard time.  Well, I think I am ready to talk about it, so here goes...About a month ago I was diagnosed with alopecia areata.  For those of you who don't know what that is, it is an autoimmune disorder where your body decides your hair is the enemy and begins to attack it.  I have alopecia areata which, as you may gather, means only spots or areas of my hair are effected.  I am unbelievably fortunate in that all of my spots (5-7 depending on how you count them) are all somewhere underneath the mound of hair I have on top of my head.  Really no one can see them or tell the difference unless I was to show them.  Nevertheless, this diagnosis hit me really hard.  We had no way of knowing how quickly or how much it would spread and what percentage of my hair would be effected and it was both a blessing and a curse that very few people knew what was going on.

This week I had my first follow-up since my initial diagnosis and treatment.  The doctor was extremely encouraged.  He said that the progression seems to have stopped and that the regrowth is just about as good as we could have possibly hoped for.  Some of the spots had enough regrowth that they did not need another treatment and he felt that that may be the last treatment for the rest of the spots.  He said that most of the patients he sees recover and put this in their past and he was confident I was doing the same.

Also this last week, and please don't take the fact that I am writing about it last as that I think it the least important because I don't, we found out my aunt has breast cancer.  It was a whirlwind of a few days from the time she found out to when she had a mastectomy.  Initially there was concern that it had spread, but we have since gotten the news that it appears to have been contained and the doctor is fairly certain he got it all.  Obviously this was a huge relief.

While I do feel particularly challenged lately, I also recognize the huge blessings that I have seen both in my life and the lives of those close to me.  For those worries and concerns that are still outstanding, I put my trust in the Lord that things will work out the way he intends and I am comfortable with that.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment