Sunday, May 3, 2020

New Life- Week 7 (Carrigan's Birthday Party)

The excitement of this week is that we were able to celebrate Carrigan's birthday.  Her actual birthday isn't until tomorrow but we were able to have a "party" with her friends yesterday.  Under the circumstances I am sure you can imagine that this year's party looked different than normal.  It took a lot of preplanning but I think it turned out as well as could be expected.

I few weeks ago I sent out the invite and let people know that we would be having the party via Zoom call and that I would be shipping them Blumes prior to the party.  The Blumes are a cute little "unboxing" toy.  They come in a little flower pot with a small watering can.  You use the watering can to sprinkle water on the flower pot and a doll with squishy hair grows out.  Also inside the flower pot you find clothes, shoes, a little friend, and accessories for the doll.  It's all pretty ingenious.

For the party itself, we planned to start with a dance party but I think that the girls all felt a little silly dancing by themselves on a conference call so we quickly ditched that I idea and turned our attention to the blooms.  We went one at a time and each girl took a turn growing her bloom and finding her other treasures.

After all the girls showed off their Blumes we sang Happy Birthday to Carrigan and she got to eat her cupcake.  I couldn't find a good way to get cupcakes to everyone under the circumstances (and one of her friends on the call lives in Utah now so that added a whole other level of complication) so I asked each parent to provide their child with some sort of treat.  At our house Merrick and Elsie got cupcakes too.  Elsie was super funny though and wouldn't eat her cupcake until Jeremy put a candle in it and sang Happy Birthday to her too.



That was it.  It was short and sweet but it got the job done.  When I came up with the idea I gave her the choice of having her party this way or waiting until this is all over to have a traditional party.  She was excited about this and I think overall it as a success.  It was certainly a birthday party that I won't soon forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment