Sunday, March 13, 2016

Engineering Wonders

For the last eight weeks, Merrick has been taking a class after school on Thursdays call Engineering Wonders.  He has been learning how and why thinks work and move.  Thursday was their last class so I thought today was as good a time as any to report on everything he has been up to.

Over the course of eight weeks they built and tested clay boats for buoyancy, learned about demolition, made toothpick bridges, did an egg drop, made flashlights, made roller coasters, made a sugar cube igloo, and one other thing that neither Merrick or I can remember and we don't seem to have a picture of.  They learned about the process of engineering and how to make a plan, execute the plan, and test it.  We even took the fun home and since his egg survived the egg drop, did an experiment with it by soaking it in vinegar.







I am so glad Merrick had a chance to take this class.  I think he learned so much and it fueled his already curious mind.

Before I go today, I do also need to mention that after Merrick's kindnesses last week, this week Carrigan rose to the challenge.  After working for weeks and weeks to fill her chart at preschool, she finally filled it this week and chose a pencil for Merrick for her prize.  Sometimes I just blown away by their thoughtfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment