Sunday, January 17, 2016

Brotherly (and Sisterly) Love

As tomorrow is Martin Luther King Dad, it seems fitting to have a blog on brotherly love today.  Specifically, I want to talk about the brotherly/sisterly love between my kids.

I think it is every parents dream to have their children play peacefully together.  In fact, I may have mentioned this before, but growing up all my mom ever said she wanted for every birthday and holiday was "a clean house and kids who don't fight".  Trust me, I get it.  The dream of peaceful play seems like that most of the time, just a dream.  For some reason though it seems like my kids have been playing nicely together more and more.  A few weeks ago we were driving in the car to meet my friend, Lora, so we could go for a run (which is something we do a lot lately).  Anyway, as we were driving, Merrick and I were talking about how he and Carrigan had been kind to each other lately.  I told him that it was my favorite thing in the world when they played nicely together, to which he responded, "Even more than losing weight?!?".  Obviously losing weight is up there, but not number one.

It thought today I would share some pictures and examples of the love.

For Merrick's part he has been very patient in sharing his toys from Christmas.  Carrigan loves to try to play his games with him and VERY rarely understands or follows the rules.  He let's her play anyway.

He also has become a fan of helping her when she wants to play dress up with her hair pretties.  He even designed the belt you see here.


For her part, Carrigan let Merrick have all the time he needed to play with a new building toy and transform it from one vehicle to another without trying to destroy it (and she even helped a little).  This is big for her.




She also decided of all the toys and things she owns, that when it was her turn for show and tell at preschool, she wanted to bring a picture of Merrick when he was a baby to tell her friends about.

So it turns out occasionally the dream does happen and it happens enough that it inspires a different dream, one where my kids grow up to be close friends and integral people in each other's lives.  Here's to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment