Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Tale of Two Cities

How do I sum up this past week?  I think the best way is to quote Charles Dickens, "it was the best of times it was the worst of times".

Things started out a little rough.  Jeremy had a final on Thursday that he was busy studying for and I had a really challenging week at school.  Combine that with regular, everyday stressors and lack of sleep.  I felt like we were barely hanging on.  The one thing that was keeping us going was looking ahead.  Jeremy was about to complete his last final and had plans to take Merrick to the fathers and sons camp out over the weekend and we were all so looking forward to these events.

Thursday FINALLY came and after three long years Jeremy finished his last law school final.  The sense of relief that immediately settled over our family was palpable.  My super sweet hubby came home with flowers and we went out dinner at Red Robin to celebrate.




When we got home from dinner we put the kids to bed and Jeremy ran to the store to get us some celebratory dessert.  On the way home he got a call from an attorney in our ward.  It had been in the works for a while, but now it was official, Jeremy has work starting Monday!

Friday I woke up on cloud nine.  I got in the car and the Pharrell Williams song "Happy" was on the radio and that is exactly how I felt.  I was happy and bad news could come along "talking this and that" but it was not going to bring me down...I was wrong.

I called my mom on the way to school to ask her a question and she was acting really weird.  She said she was having some sort of problem and that Becca was trying to help her, but she was feeling really weird and having trouble remembering things.  I hung up with her and called Jeremy and told him that I was worried about my mom and I thought she might be having a stroke.

Within 30 minutes I started getting texts from Becca and Jeremy.  Jeremy went over to help Ben give my mom a blessing.  Between the three of them they decided that something was really wrong and they need to get her to the emergency room.  In the ER they concluded that she must have had a mini stroke.  They started running tests and admitted her to the hospital.  Over the course of the day they ran every test under the sun.  Everything came back great and I think that the doctors were a little baffled.  They ended up deciding that she had either a TIA (which is little a warning stroke that causes no lasting effects) or a "complicated migraine".  I saw the doctor's face.  They really thought she had had a stroke and were at a bit of a loss when the tests didn't back that up.  What we know is that she had a blessing, lots of prayers said in her behalf, and we had a miracle take place in our lives.  She ended up getting to come home that same day.  The shortest stay in IMCU history.

Because my mom needed to come first, the boys ended up not being able to go on their camp out.  We did our best to make it up to Merrick.  Jeremy took him on Saturday to Safari Sams, an arcade and play place.  He had a great time and I don't think in the end he minded not making it to the camp out.

To top the week off, Jeremy and I took some time last night to go out on a celebratory date.  It is really rare these days that we actually get to have a date just the two of us.  It was really nice.

Like I said, the best of times, the worst of times.  Here is to hoping for a boring week to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment