Sunday, January 27, 2013

Date Night

Several weeks ago a little girl at our preschool came to school very excited about the fact that she was getting to go on a special date with her mom that afternoon. Her mom is expecting a new baby and so they decided to take each of their children on a special date to spend some quality time together before the baby was born.

I thought that was such a great idea and have been thinking about doing it with Merrick ever since. As excited as I am to have our new baby girl join our family, it makes me sad to think about how much less time I will have with Merrick. When Jeremy told me last week that he had a meeting for school this past Friday night, I decided it was the perfect time for a special mommy/Merrick date.

My idea was to go to PDX Playdate, a huge indoor play place, to play and have dinner, but since this was Merrick's date I thought he should get to choose the night's activities. It turns out that what he really wanted to do was go get a new "Cars" toy. He still had money from Christmas and he was adamant that this was how he wanted to spend his date night.

With a new "Cars" toy as the end game, our date consisted of first a trip to Target and then a trip to TJ Maxx when we left Target empty handed. TJ Maxx was a success with a "Cars" book complete with action figure cars and play mat of Radiator Springs. By the time we were finished shopping it was getting late and we had just enough time for a quick dinner stop. Again Merrick got to choose and we ended up at Wendy's.

I will be the first to admit that it was not a glamorous night, but Merrick was happy and we were able to spend some quality time together. In the end I guess that is all that really matters.




No comments:

Post a Comment