Monday, February 20, 2012

Sleep(less)

The biggest event of this past week was Merrick deciding that he no longer was going to take naps. This all started last Saturday when we were going to go to Washington and Merrick was so excited about the trip that he decided a nap was not necessary. Since I was determined that he was not going to get up without some type of rest, I instituted "quiet time", which consisted of him sitting in his crib reading books.

Well, since that fateful day, he has only taken one nap in his crib. Instead, when we put him down for his nap, he plays, takes off his clothes, and yells for "quiet time". He even somehow (with lots of yelling) manages to get out of quiet time after just a few minutes.

The problem with this, aside from the fact that I really enjoyed my time during naptime, is that Merrick does not sleep enough at night to make up for his lack of nap. The result is that we have a VERY tired boy by the end of the night,a boy that melts down and almost falls asleep at the dinner table.

One night I was trying to get him upstairs for bed and he was melting down. As part of his tantrum he said "Fine! I will just sleep on the stairs!"

As a result I had to get him entirely ready for bed while he laid on the stairs and refused to get up.

Something is definitely going to have to give here because he can't continue with such a lack of sleep. If only I knew I baby sleep coach who could help us...oh wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment