Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Motherly Lesson #7364

As a mother I feel like I am always learning lessons. Everyday I learn I should be doing things different, better, faster, etc. Yesterday was no exception. I learned a valuable lesson that I will not soon forget.

At the crack of dawn yesterday the city came to work on the street in front of our house. I am really not sure what they were doing. The best I could tell they were making holes only to fill them back in. Merrick spent much of the morning standing at window watching the "scooper diggers", loving every minute of it.

Just after noon I realized that I had somewhere to be soon and that there were four large trucks and several large holes in front of my house and I was not sure I was going to be able to get out. I decided that I would go outside and ask the workers if they thought I would be able to get out. I looked at Merrick and wondered if I should carry him out with me because I was worried he would run out after me and he did not have shoes on. Unfortunately I convinced myself he would stay at the window and ran out and talked to the men.

The good news is that they said I would be able to get out. The bad news is that when I got back to the front door I found out that it was locked. This was very bad news for the following reasons:
1. I was outside and my baby was inside by himself
2. The work trucks were so loud I could not hear him inside
3. All the workers were looking at me like I was crazy
4. It was 108 degrees yesterday

Luckily I did have my cell phone tucked in my pocket, but Jeremy was in North Scottsdale at work with his house key. I called both of my in-laws because I knew they were the only other people with a house key. At first Carolyn did not answer and Jeff was not sure which key was the right one. He did eventually find one he thought was the right one and headed over. When I reached Carolyn she told me she had the key with her and was on her way. Eventually the trucks moved and at least I could hear and talk to Merrick. He was upset off and on, but mostly I was able to keep him calm and try to talk him through unlocking the door. Alas it was to no avail and he was not able to get the door open.

What seemed like a century later, but was probably closer to 10 or 15 minutes later, both Jeff and Carolyn showed up and Carolyn had the right key. Within seconds we were all inside and it was all over. I really think I learned my lesson on this one and it will never happen again, but Jeremy must not have been so sure. When he left for work this morning he reminded me not to go outside without Merrick...thanks for the reminder honey!

1 comment:

  1. So crazy! And so scary when that happens. I locked Caitlyn in the car once, late at night and we had a cop there and a locksmith it was crazy! Glad everything was alright. Thanks for sharing your blog, I love blogs oh so much!!!

    ReplyDelete