Friday, August 20, 2010

I Want to do it Myself

My mom loves to tell this story about me from when I was about two. She was in a hurry one day and loaded me quickly into the car and drove away. I started screaming and was inconsolable as we drove down the road. Finally, she asked me why I was crying and I said "I wanted to do it myself". She pulled the car over, took me out of my seat and set me on the ground. I climbed back in and was as happy as could be after that.

Sometimes I think Merrick is going to be just like me in that he likes to do things by himself. It is common for him to reach for the spoon when I am feeding him and try to do it himself. Up to this point, however, he has been relatively unsuccessful at actually getting food into his mouth.

Last week he reached for the spoon and I was shocked to see how far he had come in learning to do it himself. While scooping out of the dish is still a little challenging, his hand-eye coordination is amazing and he finds his mouth like a little pro.

I find it hard to let go and let Merrick do things for himself because it means that my baby is growing up, but I am so proud of all the new things he is learning.

P.S. I know that the bib is on backwards. I was trying to trick him into keeping it on by putting the Velcro on the other side...it didn't really work.



No comments:

Post a Comment