Sunday, September 10, 2017

First Days of School

The last two weeks have been a complete whirlwind.  Both kids started school, I started work, Merrick had a birthday, we took a quick vacation to San Francisco for my cousin's wedding, family came into town, and Merrick got baptized.  WHEW!  I am tired just writing about it.

Today I will try to start covering these many events with a post about our back to school days.  Merrick's first day was August 29th.  We were all lamenting the early August start to school this year, but things went from bad to worse when Merrick got his teacher assignment and didn't get the teacher he was hoping for.

The first day of school came and it was a disaster.  Merrick was beside himself that school was awful, his teacher was the worst, and he wasn't going back.  He came home, fell face first onto the couch and cried.  I told him we were going to get slushees and to get in the car.  On the way there we talked about his experiences and how I really wanted him to have a good year.  We talked about looking for the positive things in his teacher and his day.  I told him that I would pay him $.10/day for any day that he could tell me three positive things about his day (2 things about his teacher and 1 about his day in general).  This has seemed to turn things around for him.  Now that we are looking for the positives our outlook seems to be better overall.


As for Carrigan, her first day was September 5th.  She had a great first day and as of now seems to be doing a much better job this year of following the rules and routine.  It is exciting to see how much she has grown over her years of preschool.


One last note, over the last few weeks my preschool team (Lora, my mom, and I) have worked really hard giving our preschool room a complete make over prior to the start of the school year.  I am really happy with how it turned out.



No comments:

Post a Comment