Sunday, February 15, 2015

V-Day 2015

Yesterday was Valentine's Day, one of my favorite days of the the year, and surprisingly a day that I love even more since having kids.  Last year we started a family tradition of a scavenger hunt where each stop tells each child something we love about them, gives them some candy, and directs them to the next clue.  At the end they find a small present that we have gotten them.  While I thought it might take a few years to catch on, when Merrick woke up in the morning he started asking right away if we were going to do it.  I guess I accomplished my goal of turning it into a meaningful tradition.

This year Merrick had to wait a bit for the hunt because Carrigan slept in, but we kept him happy with a special trip with Mommy to buy everyone Valentine's Day doughnuts.  The hunt itself went just about flawlessly until the end when Merrick was searching the whole room for their gifts while CC just sat on the footstool that was holding the gifts.






The other highlights of the day were a family bike ride and Merrick telling me I was the best mommy ever when I told him I was making them heart pizza and Valentine's (pink) applesauce for dinner.  Actually Valentine's Day is the perfect holiday for Merrick because he is naturally very affectionate and loving.  He was even the first one to tell me "Happy Valentine's Day" when he jumped on my bed very early in the morning and shouted it mere inches from my face (he had also apparently already rushed in to tell Jeremy who was in the bathroom).



Eventually the kids did go to bed and Jeremy and I had a chance to celebrate on our own with some Thai take-out and apple cider.  Jeremy broke is cardinal rule (established after our wedding) and bought me a purse and tickets for a date night to the Portland Underground tour, which I have always wanted to do.  I got him tickets to go with his friend Matt to see two March Madness tournament games.

It was a great day all around.  I guess I should not speak for the rest of the the family, but I know I sure felt the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment