Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Two Valentines

Monday was Valentine's Day and while I wanted some alone time with Jeremy, I also wanted to make the day special for my little valentine. When I was growing up my mom always made holidays so special for us. On Valentine's Day she would write us notes in our lunch, cut our sandwiches into heart shapes and make heart shaped Jello. I always felt so loved and I want to make Merrick feel the same.

Since Valentine's Day fell on a Monday this year Jeremy and I decided to celebrate, just the two of us, on Saturday. We went out to a long dinner and just spent time together. I got Jeremy an ipod shuffle to use on our runs and he got me the perfect jacket with an offset zipper, which I am totally obsessed with. I am very grateful to Grandpa and Lollie for watching Merrick so that we could have that time.

On Monday we celebrated Valentine's Day all together as a family. I made a special dinner and while it was cooking we let Merrick open his gift. The candy came out first and honestly he would have been happy with just that.


Eventually we were able to get him to move on from the candy long enough to try on his headband and blow some bubbles.



He really liked it when Daddy blew bubbles at his face.


While Jeremy and Merrick were playing with the bubbles I went to frost the cake that I had made earlier in the day. It was not long before Merrick realized there was something going on in the kitchen that he wanted to be a part of and he came over to help me. I let him taste the frosting and he definitely wanted more. I told him he had to wait until after dinner and turned my back for half a second. I guess he was not happy with my answer and decided to help himself.



At the end of the day I was perfectly happy. I felt like we had the perfect balance in our Valentine's Day celebrations between time as a family and time for just Jeremy and I. I hope that my two valentines felt as loved as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment